Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Up and down week, but pushing along

I'm increasing my miles in preparation for the SF marathon.  This week, I should get in b/n 40 and 45 miles (my first 40 mile week this training period).  I had a good 12 mile run on Sunday and had an awesome 7 mile tempo run (7:19 pace) on Tuesday.

But, the best was my lunch run today, Wed.  It was great to meet with a couple of my fellow running pacers from the SF marathon training group for a 5 mile run in San Jose.  It was nice to get out for lunch and grab some fresh air.  This was my first lunch run at my new job in San Jose and it was great.

One problem:  my old job had towels to use for the shower after the run.  I had wrongly assumed that would be the case with this one.  I had to use an extra shirt to dry off.

So, I've been a bit down about my weight.  I've started to watch what I eat and I've been running every day since I stepped on the scale.  I've lost 3 pounds so only 7 to go in order to get to an okay race weight.  So I needed something positive.  And, I got something!  On my lunch run, we were chatting away and I mentioned that I was going to be 41 (I think we were talking about BQ times).  She said something to the effect "wow, I thought you were close to my age."  She is only 28.  So that made me feel very good.

Now on to my daughter.  She is now 17 months old.  It is just amazing how fast times goes by.  She was a bit of a slow walker.  Meaning she just started walking soon.  I've place a video below of her walking.  Most kids should walk by 15 months, but Brooklyn pushed it into the 16th month.  She could walk for months before, but would only walk a little here and there.  She would refuse to walk most of the time (by walking I mean by herself, she would walk all over if you held her hand).  The most she would walk was only about 10 to 30 steps and once she knew we were trying to get her to talk it would be a day or two before we could get another 10 steps in.  Now she just goes and goes and goes.  It is awesome to see her move around and explore.

Having a baby or 17 month old around (I think even when she is 50, she will still be my baby) is great, but it can have interesting (I'll use that word) moments.  And, now every other night or so we are having an interesting moment.  Brooklyn used to love taking baths.  She would pitch a fit when we tried to take her "out" of the tub to end the bath.  Now, however, she has decided she hates the water.  Hates being in the tub.  And, the mere act of us trying to wet her with water causes a massive screaming attack.  Hopefully, this will be a short phase or the neighbors might start wondering what we are doing to her.  I wonder if she picked it up from our cats freaking out when we give them a bath (we have to bath the cats every week to help with my wife's allergies).

1 comment:

Nelly said...

That sounds like a solid tempo run! Sounds like you are getting faster!

Thanks for the comment on my runners knee post, sounds like it is a pretty common injury. I'll keep my blog updated with my progress, hopefully I'll be seeing you at SF marathon.