Sunday, November 8, 2009

Zero miles run this week. Hello Elliptical.

I want to run so badly.  Yet, I'm trying to give my knee some rest in hopes that it will heal.  Thus, zero miles for me this week.  The sad part is that I'm not sure my knee feels any better.  But, it's not worse.  My plan is to rest a month (which I now define as 4 weeks).  On the 28th day from the SV marathon, I plan to go for a short run.  Then, get 1 or 2 short runs in before the Turkey Trot in San Jose.  I plan to run the Trot slow and just do a 5K.  Hopefully, I won't lose too much.

In the meantime, I have used my home elliptical 4 times.  I think I'm getting fast on it (or at least not as slow).  I also used my home gym to get some weight training in twice.  However, it sure is not the same as running.  On the positive side, it allows me to watch sports at night while I jump on the elliptical or use the home gym.  I feel bad for the treadmill.  Although, I generally ran outside, I would use it 10x more than the elliptical.  It must feel very neglected.

I do wonder how the long runs are going to go in the winter.  Last winter, I could not run because of the injury.  I generally like running in the cold and/or the rain so I am sort of looking forward to some long runs.  I got use to running with the running group for the long runs over the summer so it's a bit scary to think about running by myself.  I did train for my first marathon alone, so I know it will be okay.

My only running goal for the coming week is to find a good running book or two to read to help me better prepare for the next marathon.  Any recommendations would be great.

6 comments:

Melanie Tait said...

Hey Tim - I feel for you. It's such a bummer being injured, isn't it? I guess the only thing an injury is useful for is to remind you how much you appreciate running! Good for you smashing out some time on the elliptical!

Aron said...

hang in there!! the elliptical will help keep your fitness up, good job for doing that instead of just doing nothing! keep it up - it will pay off!!

you HAVE to go for a run in SF sometime, its such a great place plus there are always TONS of runners out!

ShutUpandRun said...

Oh I know that injury thing all too well. I have become very good friends with the elliptical. I find it hurts the front of my foot and sometimes my feet feel like they are falling asleep. Does this ever happen toyou?

Tim F said...

My feet do feel like they are falling asleep often. It is a strange feeling. My front of the feet don't hurt too much, but I do find that it seems easier to get blisters on the elliptical than running. Actually, the first time I used the elliptical, I did not wear shoes, just soaks and my feet were a mess afterwards.

Unknown said...

REST your legs...I like the elliptical and a friend is running in a pool and racing on the weekends and still doing great! I've heard pool workouts are nice!
My favorite running book right now is BRAIN TRAINING FOR RUNNERS. I'm following the marathon schedule in the back and trying to adhere to the main principles. I needed something about the mental aspects of marathoning...this is the book for that!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Sorry to hear about your injury. It's great you're keeping up with your fitness level with cross training. I've also heard good things about Brain Training for Runners. It's on my "to read" list.