Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Completed my 22 mile run; now time for the San Jose Rock 'n' Roll half

This past Sat I completed my 22 mile long run.  The longest run of the training schedule and last long run!  It felt great to complete it.  And, so far my knee is holding up.  Still painful at times, but not worse.  I was so unsure if I could make it through the training schedule many months ago when I started it.  Yet, I completed all of the long runs.

Unfortunately my Garmin was not charged so I could not record my times.  We were going about a 9:45-9:50 pace.  For the long runs we go a bit slower because we throw in 30 second walks.  I felt good during the run.  It was dreadfully hot, but I kept up my energy with gel packs at miles 6, 12 and 18.  I also used salt tablets at miles 12 and 19.

The good part about the run is that I was able to pick up my pace the last two and a half miles and finished strong.  I think (no garmin) I ran the last two and 1/2 miles about a 8-8:30 pace.

Now it is on the the rock 'n' roll half marathon in San Jose. Hopefully, it will go a lot better than the Mountain View Half last month.  I'm still learning how my body works in races so I'm going to try not to go out too fast.  Keep a good pace and if I feel good then pick it up in the second half.

1 comment:

ShutUpandRun said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your supportive comment!! Good luck in San Jose, can't wait for the race report. Sounds like you aer really good at listening to your body. Doing the first half comfortably slow then picking it up if you can is a great plan.