Wednesday, September 16, 2009

20 mile run done

This past Sat.  I finished my 20 mile run!  It had been nearly a year since I ran that far and it felt good after going through many months without being able to run.  It was a very good run.  I ran with the 9:20 group.  We actually all ran in one group this week (rather than split to a 9 min group).  For the really long runs, we keep a bit slower pace, about 9:40.

I wanted to go faster at times, but stayed with the group.  I did not have any stomach issues which was good and did not have any major downs.  I used two powerbar gels and had some red beans.  I did have to stop to use the restroom once . . . I hate that.  But, no stomach cramps.  I think I have a solid routine down for these long runs.  Powerbar gels, some red beans, nuun, a peaunt butter sandwish on wheat bread before the run, and pasta the night before.  On the next long run I might want to try salt tables.

So the run went well.  Maintained a solid pace and was able to finish the last three miles stronger.  A few additional thoughts:

(1)  It is fun running with a group.  Last year I trained by myself.  That does have some benefits.  Yet, I'm very appreciative of the group. It adds an extra enjoyment to running and really helps you get through these long runs.

(2)  We ran into a large organization doing some walk.  I'm sure it was for a good cause, but let's not block off the walkway.  When you hear a group of runners behind you, try to make some room so that they can pass. While it can be somewhat frustrating . . . it is a little fun to dodge people.

(3)  My left knee is sore.  The good thing is that I cannot tell if its more sore than it used to be (a few months ago) or is better than what it used to be.  I guess after living with a bum left knee for nearly 11 months now, I don't know what's normal soreness.  I just hope it feels better over the coming days.  I'm planning to do a Yasso 800 in about 20 hours so I hope my left knee holds up.

(4)  I officially think my left knee is jealous of my right knee.  I know it questions why does it have to remain sore.  Why does it have to wear a brace?  Why does it have to be taped and not the left knee?  It's not fair.  Well, the left knee needs to just suck it up.

In less than two weeks will be the 22 mile run.  I can't wait.  It will be great to complete it.

1 comment:

Melanie Tait said...

Well done on a huge run!

I hear ya about walkers. And I'd like a smile as I pass them too please :)